An Interview With All Dolled Up Makeup and Hair
Can I just say how much I adore Livia? All Dolled Up Makeup and Hair is an airbrush makeup company. I met her last year at the Rainbow Network LGBT Expo, where she was wearing these amazing light up shoes, that I promptly bought after seeing them. LOL
What I love about her company is EVERYTHING is airbrush, even the eyeshadow!! This chick knows whats UP! Perfect for hot Texas summer weddings or even possible rainy days. I wanted to do some head shots for her and interview her, so everyone can see how amazing she is! I tell all of my femme clients (but hey, even dudes can get makeup!) that airbrushing is the way to go! And now that your eyeshadow can maintain perfection for hours and hours? HELL YEAH.
So check out this sassy bish and hire her for your wedding today!!
1. How long have you been doing makeup? What got you into the industry? I’ve been doing makeup since 1999, my friends and I were really into it so we’d try every color eye shadow on to match our outfits. I’m an artist at heart, and I loved blending the colors together with the different brushes.
I got into the industry during my last semester at UCSB- I would do all my friends’ makeup before we went out and got a job at MAC to pay my rent. After I graduated, I went to work at Academy Of Art University in San Francisco as a recruiter/admissions rep/portfolio reviewer… the school I really wanted to go to.
The job took me to Texas and after a few years my contract was up. They offered me the job back in SF, but I was rooted here in Austin- I met my husband and stepson, we’d bought a house… I wasn’t going back to SF.
So my husband suggested I do some soul searching and it lead me to entrepreneurship.
There’s a much longer story behind it, so let me know if you want to read a novel. Haha! In 2011 AllDolledUp Hair and Makeup was born and in 2015 it became a legit business. I’m just happy I can make a living as an artist!
2. What is something you wish people planning a wedding would consider when it comes to makeup and hair? I wish they would consider it sooner in the planning process. You don’t even know how many last minute bookings we have. I mean, it’s your face! It’s important and a lot of times ladies leave it for last in the planning and last in the budget. I always wonder if they look back at their wedding if they care about having a bigger bouquet vs having quality hair and makeup. How many photos are focused on the floral? Or the linens? Those are just examples but you know what I mean. It’s your face, ladies!!
3. What sets you apart from the competition? The talent of course! And we do all-airbrush makeup – even the eye shadow, which means it lasts 20+ hours. We are meticulous with details; everything from the contract to the eyeliner. We care abo
ut what you want. All pride aside, it’s what makes our clients happy, not about what we want, so we love feedback. We take baby steps, keep the client involved in the process, and really listen. We also know that it’s your wedding day, and you’ll remember this forever, so the experience overall is just as important as delivering great makeup and hair.
And the big picture is delivering confidence, makeup that makes our clients feel great in their own skin. Making sure they look and feel their best… it’s more than makeup and hair. We “sell” feelings!
4. Who is your ideal client? The ideal client is really anyone who wants to experience great hair and makeup. But my favorite clients are the ones that don’t wear makeup on a regular basis. It’s so fun to show them the mirror after a finished look and see their eyes light up and a big smile. That’s the best! I also love doing makeup for grandmas of the bride… the airbrush is like magic for them and they are so interested in the process.
5. What is your favorite part of being in the wedding industry? I love the wedding industry so much because it’s such a supportive community of entrepreneurs and creative types. It’s one of the only industries that’s 90% small business owners coming together to create magical memories for people. How cool is that?